"experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." -randy pausch

Friday, May 13, 2011

for the bugs

 marigold buying.
for the bugs.
leroy at home depot told me to get some.
i love their big yellow puffs.
i wish i could remember what he actually said about marigolds and bugs.
all i can remember is that i am supposed to buy them.
and plant them.
to help with the bugs.
maybe they grow teeth and eat the bugs.
or maybe the bugs die from eating the marigolds?
or maybe the bugs don't like how the marigolds smell.
i have never been a good listener.
i know they wouldn't like how i smelled after i spent a day planting veggies in the hot sun.
let me tell you,
i SMELT.
and had to take a shower.
the night showers have begun.
sunscreen and sweat all day.
shower and wet hair at night.
i never knew i could love summer so much.
 green beans,
tiny sweet tomatoes,
red bell peppers,
and sunflowers
are all growing in my dirt.
cucumbers and pumpkins tomorrow.
the packet made them sound more complicated.
something about a 12" tall hill,
by 2 feet wide.
 i love to watch them grow.
the garden too;) 
...
and last, but very NOT least,
i'm
WISHING the VERY BEST
DAD
in
the entire
WORLD,
a very happy birthday:)
love you dad!!!

7 comments:

Jen said...

Em, I can't believe how big they are getting! So stinking cute!

Emmy said...

Wait how do Marigolds help with bugs?? They are pretty

And yes fun to watch everything grow :)

Amy said...

I don't know about bugs, but I know marigolds help keep cats away. They don't like the smell, and therefore wont go near and use your garden as a littler box. I used to hate marigolds. Now they are my favorite.

Susan Anderson said...

Marigolds are so cheerful and sturdy, too.

=)

Urban Earthworm said...

I love marigolds! They remind me of when I was a kid because my dad used to plant them everywhere, every year. For the bugs. I think it's because of the smell. But I'm not sure either, because I'm also not the best listener. Even when I get told every year ;-)

Urban Earthworm said...

I gave you an award over at Cheap Wine and Cookies: http://cheapwineandcookies.blogspot.com/2011/05/versatile-gritty-and-unpretentious-ill.html

Macey said...

Ooooh...I bet it's the smell! Marigolds reek. :0 But they look pretty!