"experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." -randy pausch

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Taro fields, sand, & boy drama

Every beach we have gone to has different sand.
Some is orange.
Other sand is more black.
Brown.
White.
Grainy.
Silky.
Sticky.
It's amazing.
i've been to hawaii before.
mainly kona and oahu.
kauai once before.
but i don't remember it ever being this lush and gorgeous.
It took me forever to figure out how to get the sand off of my skin.
It doesn't just wash off with water.
We went to hanalei to shop and meet some of the lds members at the branch there that my mom goes to church with on Sundays.


The taro fields are gorgeous.
Mom's friends own a chunk of the taro fields behind me.


We ate lunch, shave ice, and bought souvenirs for Sean and the kids.
I can't WAIT to give them what I found!
Hidden away in my bag:)


Mom's friend at the church showed us how to wrap pork in taro leaves and then in tea leaves to make a tasty little recipe.
"Lau Lau."


The younger girls were all talking about Bethany Hamilton. The girl from hanalei whose arm was bitten off by a shark.
There's a movie that just came out about it.
We are going to see it tomorrow.
The premiere was here last week.
So these girls are all friend's with her.
At least they said they were.
Whenever anyone becomes famous everyone seems to claim they know them.
Let's give these girls the benefit of the doubt.
It is hanalei.
Small town.
It's possible.
So they were talking about how the movie made all of this boy drama and that "Bethany is just not drama," so they didn't like that part of it.
And that it was really weird to see people they knew being played by actors on a big screen.
It was fun to see the girls light up when they talked about it all.
You could tell they felt really special.
Then the girls found bugs in the taro leaves so they went outside to throw the bugs out.
They were so calm about it.
I wouldn't be so calm.
They were big bugs.
So we went outside and there was the baptismal font.
Outside.
In the ground.
With big wood planks covering it for safety.
I loved it:)


They were such good people.
I loved meeting them all.
I am tired.
...
More pictures:
Hanalei bay.


Bali hai (basically just a really big rock).
think the movie "South Pacific."


Na Pali coast.
Crystal Clear Water.


AND I walked on water.
:) 
My muscles are getting sore.
The roosters made me think max was crying on the baby monitor this morning, but then I peeked open one eye and remembered I was in Hawaii.
I wish they'd roost somewhere else.
The Emily show bids you goodnight.
That is all.

7 comments:

Susan Anderson said...

You're getting some great pics.

I would love to see that movie. She seems like a neat girl in interviews.

=)

Urban Earthworm said...

Wow! What an amazing trip! All the pictures are awesome.

I'll have to look into that movie.

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

I am ready to move to Hawaii after seeing all of your beautiful pictures! Though, I think we could only afford a shack, but maybe that would be manageable with views like you have. :)

McVal said...

What a beautiful place!

Lauren said...

Hmm... Think your mom would let me come visit!? haha :) glad you are having a lovely time!

Amy said...

I always knew I needed to visit Hawaii. One of my best friends lived there for years. His memories that he shares sound just as lovely as yours. Bonfires on the beach, running on the beach in the morning, magical.

Macey said...

You have to let me know how Soul Surfer is...I so want to see it.