"experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." -randy pausch

Friday, March 8, 2013

spiders in a brown bag {GROW!}

i am overdoing my garden this year.
it is a for sure thing.
but if there's one thing i've learned about gardening,
it's that once you finally get it all in the ground,
the more the merrier.
the more i plant, the less weeds i get.
at least once everything is really growing.
so sean's cousin tiff came up this week and we started our seeds together.
she brought me a brown lunch sack and giggled when she handed to me.
when i opened it i thought she brought me spiders.
creepy little potato stems!!!
so gross.
so i've got my little garden growing to the left of my kitchen sink these days.
covered in saran wrap as a makeshift greenhouse,
and i tell you, it makes winter feel like a thing of the past!
next week i'll be rushing to them each morning to see if any have sprouted.
it's fun fun fun business.
i've started your standard big red tomatoes,
sweet 100 cherry tomatoes,
green zebra tomatoes,
jalapenos, anaheims, 
brussel sprouts,
walla walla's, green bunch onions,
purple cauliflower {tiff brought this up, it's a special treat!},
kale,
cilantro, basil, and rosemary.
and those are just the ones you can start early:)
there are at least 10 more packets of things that i'm putting straight into the ground 
at the end of may when we rotatille.
i can hardly wait to see my pumpkins and corn growing each morning 
out of my kitchen window this summer.
now for the motivation to get out there next week to plant my early peas...
sweet, snap, early peas.
i have never been able to get myself in the mood to go out and plant in the cold months for the cold peas.
but i always want them by the time it starts to get warm.
you have to do things you don't want to do,
so you can do the things you want to do.
this is what i'm telling myself inside of my head.
we will see if it gets me out to plant my peas.
happy friday.
grow little seeds,
GROW!

3 comments:

Katie M. Brown said...

i can't wait until we have a house one day so i can have a garden. bens dad has a huge garden, and ever since we got married and i saw how much he really does, i have been coveting it and wanted my own. can't wait to see what you get!

Susan Anderson said...

I hope you get a bumper crop of everything!

=)

Amy said...

Thursday, Friday, and Saturday will be in the 60's! I am not sure how you will manage to not plant them with that glorious weather! Love your early garden. I know you are going to love it too. The thrill of planting things and watching them grow!