"experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." -randy pausch

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

introducing, "before they were famous"

do you know someone famous?
before they were famous?
introducing emilisq's,
"before they were famous"!
if you knew someone who became famous
or
know someone famous
or
know someone who knows someone famous
tell us!
so your story can be featured.
today's spotlight goes to
a popular LDS novelist and children's author.
...
we all know "Goose" as this:
goose (left), maverick/tom cruise (right)
she knew "Goose" as this:

(1980 senior yearbook photo, courtesy Rebecca Talley)

i mentioned TOP GUN this week and Rebecca commented,
"Top Gun . . . I went to high school with Goose--had a huge crush on him..."

(High School Play, Goose with Jill Carroll, courtesy Rebecca Talley)

oh mother goose!
oh TOP GUN!
beach volleyball will never be the same;-)
goddesses, you KNOW what i'm talking about!
1. What is your favorite memory of "Goose."
He was really cute, was in the high school theater program, and a nice guy. In fact, he donated money to his old jr. high to have the theater renovated and named it for his drama teacher who was in my ward. I watched ER just to see him. He goes by
Anthony Edwards but we called him Tony. He dated a friend of mine for a while. I'm sure he would never remember me--he's 2 years older, but I sure had a crush on him.I loved watching him perform in the high school plays. He had gorgeous hair--kind of feathered back and blond. I used to see him in the halls, but we never had a class together.
...
2. Did you ever speak to "Goose."
We met through my friend Jill Carroll so he used to say "hi" to me in the halls. I'm sure he'd never, ever remember me now.
...
3. When you were in high school you said you had a crush on him. what would have been your dream date with him?
A romantic walk along the beach during sunset while he professed his great and undying love for me. And then he'd ask me to "go" with him (be his girlfriend--well, you said "dream date").
...
4. What was your friend's name that dated him? What did she think?
Jill Carroll dated him. She was also in theater. She had a beautiful voice and was a gorgeous girl. I think they dated after high school, though. I believe he also dated Maria Rocha (but I could be wrong--it's been so many years). The Enquirer once did a story on him and included a picture of him and Maria.
Jill used to tell me what a nice guy he was. Though I had a screaming crush on him, I'm sure he never though twice about me.
...
5. What is it like knowing someone from high school that is famous?
Eric Stoltz also attended my high school, but he graduated the year before I started attending. I did see him around a bit because he was friends with Tony. Kathy Ireland also attended my high school and was a year ahead of me. I totally remember seeing her at school and she was flawlessly beautiful with a perfect body even in high school. It was very weird, at first, to see people I knew in movies and in magainzes (Kathy was featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated a few times), but I was happy to see them go after, and reach, their dreams.
...
6. Was is weird to see him in the movie playing a character when you knew him before the fame?
It was strange to see Tony in movies. He was in a few before "Top Gun." It was even stranger to see him play Dr. Greene on ER because he was still that high school kid in my head and on ER he was a grown man. It's funny how high school classmates never age in your mind. I'm really happy for him that's he's been successful in Hollywood--not an easy feat. He was always such a nice guy.
...
YOU just got the inside scoop!
you can check out rebecca's blog here.
you can pre-order her latest and greatest book here from amazon (june 15th).
anyone know where Goose is now?
submit your stories by commenting here or email me at emilygibson82@yahoo.com

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! Your blog is really cute and you are so funny!
love julie baird

Anonymous said...

Good stuff but your page load is too slow - how many megs do you have in content plus background?
-david maiero

Emmy said...

So fun to read! Unfortunately I don't know anyone famous yet. There are some guys that I went to high school with that have a CD out but not too famous yet, but I guess if you got really desperate I could help you out sometime.

Fiauna said...

What a great post. The only semi-famous person I know is the weather man on my favorite news chanel--KSL. Yes, I went to Jr. High with Kevin Eubank. He was funny and very friendly. And really, really small. But that's not as cool as going to school with Goose. I love Rebecca Talley!

Susan Anderson said...

This was fun, Em. I liked it.

I'm afraid I don't know anyone famous though...although my brother-in-law is the Production Designer on the majority of Adam Sandler's movies, so he knows lots of famous people.

=)

Hil said...

What the?!?!? I didn't know Goose and Dr Green were the same guy!! The things you learn. Fun post Em!

Proudfeet said...

I wish I had gone to school with someone famous, better yeat wish I were famous! Just kidding! But seriously my dad is friends with Ahrrison Ford, so that's kind of cool!