"experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." -randy pausch

Thursday, June 4, 2009

snap crackle pop

brennan was eating his afternoon snack.
i opened my closet and found it to be abnormally quiet in my house.
quiet enough to notice a snap, crackle, pop buzzing sound from inside my closet.
my eyes looked left (this helps me listen better).
i got a sick feeling in my stomach.
at first i thought, "oh no, a soda exploded in the mini-fridge."
i knew the mess would be a dousy.
hindsight,
i would have LOVED an exploded soda.
can you hear the sound in your head?
i opened the fridge.
all sodas were closed and accounted for.
and then my eyes rose to the bag of corn i had used for christmas presents this past year.
"oh no."
i almost swore.
i think i did swear inside my head.
as i looked closer around the bag i saw 20-30 black bugs, beetle like, with long snouts crawling around my mini fridge.
i quickly opened the bag of corn.
the sound amplified.
THOUSANDS.
TENS OF THOUSANDS.
of little gross, disgusting bugs were feasting.
huge gasp of air in, and then i grabbed the sack and ran with it outside.
i spent the next 30 min. vacuuming up every bug i could find left behind,
while the pork loin screamed in his high chair.
the vacuum scares him.
i dare you to click on the picture to see the bugs that are visible on top.
remember, there were enough to sound like an exploding bottle of soda.
snap
crackle
pop.
i'll never eat rice crispies again.
i'm still itching all over.
at least i figured out where all of the bugs were coming from...

18 comments:

Gilbert Family said...

eww eww eww. are they crawling over me? i think i feel them. eww. sorry you need to deal with that. at least they are gone.

Amy said...

Eeeewwww! I think that would be one of the worst things in the world to find. "Surprise! You have just won a gajillion little bugs living in your closet, what are you going to do now?" (deep announcer's voice)

I hope you got them all cleaned up, and they will never return.

You have a mini fridge in your closet? What a great idea! Never have to go to the kitchen for a midnight snack again. Just don't leave corn in there from Christmas, right?

Jess said...

That's grosser than gross, so sorry you had the attack of the disgusting bugs.

keri said...

Wow, that would be awful! Sorry you had to deal with that!

stacy said...

oh my goodness I can't stop itching...does it to me every time! Make sure to empty your vacuum. We had ants and I vacuumed them up with the dust buster I guess not as strong as reg vacuum but they stayed alive inside. Yucky! Gotta watch that stuff (rice, oats, flour, they love it!). Glad you figured it out...no wonder spraying outside house didn't work.

Emmy said...

Oh so not fun! I would have freaked out too!

Emmy said...

CHECK my blog, you've got an award!

webster said...

that is so nasty

Lauren said...

Wow! That is so so soooo nasty. Ick. Gives me the heebie jeebies (don't you love that phrase?) just thinking about it!

Dawn. said...

Seriously...yuck, yuck, yuck. Kind of reminds me of a story I've read on a common blog that we read about a Christmas tree and thousands of praying mantis bugs. ewwwww.....

Snarky Belle said...

I clicked on the picture and am now seriously regretting that decision. I'm itching too!!

So sorry you had to deal with that!

Snarky Belle said...

How long before the itching stops? Please, make it stop.

Susan Anderson said...

THAT is DISGUSTING!!!

And my skin is crawling...

ugh.

"/

Bree said...

oh no.....

really, it's all i can say...oh no

Hil said...

OH. MY. GOSH. I would have screamed, thrown my body into convulsions, hyperventilated and then called my husband home from work for that emergency. YOU ARE SO BRAVE!!! THAT IS SO GROSS!!!! I am itching along with the rest of them. ew gross. ew ew ew!

Anonymous said...

You know how to find the FUN in life!! We love you! John and Kate

Proudfeet said...

I just got goose bumps all over my body! Gag me! Once I found weavles in our flour, called Jeff screaming, he thought someone had died, and proceeded to throw out everything in our cabinets that wasn't in a can, just in case!

Brooke said...

gross emily!!!! haha- what exactly are those things???? Who knows what's in my fridge right now- maybe I better go purge....