"experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." -randy pausch

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

dreaming of fireflies

1-2" down
9-12" apart
24" row separation
the fertilization and cross pollination are intimidating.
the worms are going to gross me out.
and i hope the grasshoppers don't come.
but it will all be worth it to watch those rows of corn grow.
like they did when we would make the two hour drive
from des moines to ottumwa every summer.
oh what i would give for a few fireflies in my backyard on a hot humid night.
they would always be taller on the drive back.
the corn.
not the fireflies.
we caught one in a mason jar once.
a firefly.
brought it inside to show everyone.
someone accidentally let it lose in grandma max's kitchen.
she was not happy.
that fireflie flew around her kitchen with its bum all lit up.
one of my favorite childhood memories.
so now we wait.
for the corn to start a'growin'.

2 comments:

Amy said...

I have never seen a firefly though always wanted to. It would have made my childhood seem so idyllic. Like yours... I hear there are some in UT now. Down in UT county. I hope they move North. I also hope you get big huge ears of corn to eat this summer. Sweet and salty from the butter. Yum!

Susan Anderson said...

Hope you bring in a great crop!

=)