"experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." -randy pausch

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

fhe last night:
this is my current book and where i have been getting my fhe ideas lately.
peculiar
distinct, uncommon, rare, holy, set apart
"Once upon a time there was a beautiful queen with a magnificent queendom...One of her favorite things was to go to the Royal Park and play on the swings. One evening she had been pumping her plump little legs...and made herself very tired. When she returned home to her palace and took off her crown, she realized with horror that its huge, priceless jewel had fallen out...She sent out a proclamation to the entire queendom, notifying everyone that the jewel was missing. She offered a handsome reward to whoever...could return it to her within thirty days. She also proclaimed that if someone found the jewel and DIDN'T return it...within thirty days, she'd have them killed.
"A few days after the loss of the jewel, a young man...discovered the queen's priceless jewel...He took the jewel home...and waited until thirty-one days had gone by. The next morning he took the jewel...to the castle...The queen couldn't believe it, "You realize, then, that had you returned the jewel yesterday I would have rewarded you handsomely." "Yes, I realize that." "Then WHY did you wait until today?"..."I'm returning this jewel to you today not because I'm hoping for a reward, and not because I'm afraid not to, but because it's the right thing to do. It belongs to you."
i loved this story b/c it made me think about my own motivations. i realized that if i would have found the jewel i would have run it to the queen immediately to get my glorious reward. i would have been too scared to keep it.
what would you have done?

No comments: