"experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." -randy pausch

Monday, June 28, 2010

target practice.


i stood in front of the baby clothes at target on saturday.
with 2 outfits in my hand.
not b/c i was going to buy them.
one for me,
one for hattie's little miss to be.
i stood there b/c i could.
i could buy them if i wanted.
there was money in the budget.
wait, let's say that again.
there's money in the budget!
and then i put them back.
it felt really good.
the best lesson the budget and frugality has taught me?
just b/c you can afford it, doesn't mean you should buy it.
although i am going back to get hattie's cutie pie something.
and i got my shoes.
it was a fun day.

6 comments:

Gilbert Family said...

i feel the same way! isnt it such a great feeling?!?!?!?! oh my!!! so glad you guys have $$ coming in now. life kinda sucks when its just going out, not in! congrats! we are going to target soon too! amen about buying stuff you dont need. i have been learning that the hard way!

Emmy said...

Yes Hatd work and a good education really do have their benefits.

Rock, Paper, Scissors said...

woohoo! Good for you. I was just pondering this very thing, wondering what I'll do when Jared gets his first REAL paycheck. I keep telling him we are going to get a couch . . . I hope I have your discipline.

Susan Anderson said...

I remember when we first had money after several years of scrimping like crazy. I wish I had been as wise as you are.

=)

Jess said...

Love the realize I can afford it, but choose not to feeling, it's so much nicer than the just can't afford it.

Amy said...

What a great feeling! And that is a lesson I am working on learning. I hate budgeting, but it is something that we all have to learn to be really good at if we want to live in this life, isn't it?