"experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted." -randy pausch

Sunday, January 13, 2013

the soup with the shredded zucchini {life changing}

"it fills you up like steak and potatoes, but it's soup."
-sean gibson
......
even my kids love this. i double this recipe and freeze half of it in ziploc bags to pull out a few weeks down the road for a fast and easy meal. thaw in the morning and reheat in the micowave in bowls.  ta-da!
TORTELLINI SAUSAGE SOUP

ingredients
3 links Italian sausage {i just buy the ground sausage so i don't have to cut apart the casings of the links}
4 cloves pressed garlic
1 onion, diced
½ c. water
2 15-oz. cans chicken broth
½ c. apple cider 
{don’t leave this out! you can use apple juice instead if you don't have the cider}
1 16-oz. can diced tomatoes
1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
1 c. sliced carrots
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried oregano
3 medium zucchini, grated ***this is our FAVORITE part!!!***
{the grated zucchini makes it to hearty and rich, great way to use your food processor if you have one}
2 tablespoons dried parsley {yes, that’s two tablespoons}
8-10 oz. package cheese tortellini 
{i buy a 2 pack from costco and use one side of it for the double batch. 
I've heard Barilla makes a great dry cheese tortellini}

directions

STEP 1: 
Chop your onion and garlic, cook with sausage in pan with a drizzle of olive oil until your meat is cooked and your onion starts to look translucent. If you’re using link sausage, remove the casings and crumble into a large soup pot. To remove the casings, you can use a sharp knife to cut a slit down one side of the sausage and then peel back the casing. I just buy the ground italian sausage. It looks like ground beef. 
STEP 2: 
In a large pot {the biggest you've got}, add canned stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, juice, water, chicken broth, carrots, oregano, and basil. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. While this is simmering I shred my zuchinni. I use my cheese grater, but you can use a food processer. I just avoid using my food processor b/c I don't like to do all of the dishes it involves after:).
STEP 3: 
Add parsley and zucchini and simmer for another 15 minutes or so. Add the tortellini and cook until tender, and then serve with hot rolls {i use rhodes rolls}, and top with freshly-grated Parmesan.
BON APETITE.
:):):)

3 comments:

Amy said...

Wow, sounds delicious! We love zucchini in our soup, but usually I chop it up into little quarters. I am going to have to try the shredding. And I have never thought to put apple cider in soup. What does it do?

Rebecca said...

omg this sounds so good and easy I'm in going to have to make this

Cassie Kennedy said...

We will definitely be trying this soup! Zucchini is a fan favorite in our house.